How to choose a name for a horse: beautiful nicknames for stallions and mares
As you call a horse, so it will gallop - most horse breeders believe in this sign holy. It is not without reason that the selection of names for thoroughbred horses is strictly regulated, and even rootless horses on rural farmsteads are nicknamed, albeit arbitrarily, but by no means “from the street lamp”. What rules exist when selecting horse names and what nicknames of these animals are most popular - this will be discussed later.
Features nicknames for horses
If a horse has a rich pedigree, thoroughbred parents, participates in professional races and is at the same time suitable for breeding, then it is impossible to give him a name at random.
Did you know? While most animals see the world around them only in black and white, horses are able to distinguish almost all colors except red and blue.
Basic rules and prohibitions
Today, the selection of a horse's nickname is increasingly losing its former romanticism and pathos, and is increasingly slipping into pragmatism. The necessity of the presence of the first letters of the names of his parents in the foal comes to the forefront, as a result of which the name is often found simply in the dictionary or using a special click generator.
In Western countries, the names of the stables, the names of the owners and even the serial numbers of the stalls add to this. The result is strange, unpronounceable names that make it impossible to determine the gender of a horse. Here are some guidelines according to which horse names are assigned in Russia and abroad:
- All trotters, English thoroughbreds, Arab and Trakenen thoroughbred horses are given names that contain the initial letter of the nickname of the mother's name, and in the middle part there is the initial letter of the father's nickname.
- For thoroughbred Budennovsky, Tersky, Don, Hanoverian and Holstein horses, the opposite is true: in their nicknames, the first letter must coincide with the initial letter in the father's nickname, and in the middle part it must coincide with the first letter in the mother's nickname.
- The name of the Akhal-Teke horses has the right to be written with the first letter of the name of either the father or mother - at the request of the owner.
- The nickname of the Oryol trotters cannot be longer than 16 alphabetic characters, and the English thoroughbreds - longer than 27 characters in Russia and 18 - abroad. At the same time, horseback riding Dutch horses are required to bear names in which at least 20 characters.
- In Britain, if the name of the stallion or mare is announced later than in February of the second year after his birth, the owners will be subject to a fine.
There are also prohibitions related to the choice of nicknames for horses:
- It is strictly forbidden to reward animals with nicknames based on insulting, abusive and, especially, obscene words.
- You can’t call your horses names from the international protected list, in which there are nicknames of horses who won big victories at major international competitions, as well as having high commercial value.
- Horse names containing a larger number of letters than prescribed by one or another rule are not allowed.
- There is an unwritten rule according to which no owner, even the owner of a thoroughbred horse, will not call his pet Plague, Goreme, Cholera, Bedoy and the like.
Did you know? The horse, expressing its mood and attitude towards the reality surrounding it, is able to make almost a hundred different sounds.
Owners of horses, which are not regulated by the choice of nicknames for their pets, nevertheless almost always choose horse names not spontaneously, but under the influence of various associations that arise when they see a newborn animal. Most often, horse names are associated with such factors:
- The appearance of the foalin which its most characteristic features are noted. The result is nicknames such as Grace, Beauty, Shaggy, Okay in mares or Velvet in a stallion.
- Charactercharacteristic of a particular animal. It is reflected in the nicknames provided by the Fighter, Warrior, Leader, Angel, Buyan, Champion, Okay, Thunderstorm, Victory, Strength, Weasel.
- Birdsexpressed in Eagle, Dove, Swallow, Golden Eagle, Swan.
- Semi-precious and precious stones. Represented by Topaz, Turquoise, Ruby, Opal, Amethyst, Diamond.
- Natural manifestationsrepresented by Wind, Thunderstorm, Roll, Buran, Blizzard, Sunrise.
- Suitwhen the reddish mare is given the name Red, and for the white horse the nickname Snowball is chosen.
- Specific area, resulting in names such as, for example, Paris, Yalta, Volga, Rio, Amur.
- Human names. Thanks to this, a fifth of all horses in the world are named after famous people or simply bear harmonious human names like Napoleon, Cleopatra, Caesar, Genghis Khan, Lincoln, Vasilisa, Mishka, Sidor, John, Mary.
- Seasonwhen the foal was born. As a result, names appear in the form of Autumn, September, October, Augustine, May, August, January, Frost, Lilacs.
- Food, as a result of which such names as Ginger, Sugar, Medoc, Toffee, Berry are given.
- Star Card Namesrepresented by Saturn, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Selena, Andromeda, Orion.
- Flowers, which are expressed in Poppy, Astra, Lily, Rose, Tulip, Cornflower, Orchid, Chamomile.
How names are selected in breeding farms
The rules that govern the choice of horse nicknames in pedigree horse breeding have already been discussed above. Here it should be emphasized that the half-breeds, although they are not subject to such strict rules, it is nevertheless accepted that the nickname of the foal begins with a letter identical to the initial letter in his father's name. In many countries of Western Europe and in the USA, the name of the stable or team is necessarily added to their name for sports horses, which makes their nicknames difficult to pronounce. With us this is not a prerequisite, but sometimes it is also practiced.The name of the domestic horse completely depends on the level of education, age, imagination, gender and even the mood of its owner, although, as we said earlier, in the end it also becomes influenced by certain traditions, trends and fashion in this period.
Important! Use the name of a famous person as a horse nickname is possible only with his written permission.
Horse alphabetical nicknames
Although in horse farms in order to comply with the existing requirements for the selection of horse names, more and more often resort to the services of dictionaries, nevertheless, constantly compiled in alphabetical order from A to Z numerous collections of the most popular and beautiful horse names. These collections are regularly and actively published, and not only amateurs, but also serious professionals can find a suitable nickname in them.
In the same place you can find nicknames, consisting of two words, such as Mr. Black, El Cid, Black Pearl, South Wind, Mini River, Miss Lucky. However, such double names most often remain in documents, but in practice one diminutive name is used.English nicknames are popular todaye.g. Alina, Edward, Jacqulyn, Nadine, Carrie, Perilli, Vandawalker, Elias, Glady, Palmer, Thea, Vilca, Racette, Bud.
German horse names are also common: Karl, Bernhard, Heidi, Josef, Gesine, Henrietta, Luise, Gustav, Antonia, Klaas, Rupert, Alexander, Genoveva, Appolonia.
Since these nicknames are mainly human names, they are used with us not with translation, but simply in Russian transcription. For example, take two German names with the letter K: Karl and Klaas. In the Russian interpretation, they will look like Karl and Klaas.
For them, popular nicknames are presented:
|AND||Avalonia, Augusta, Abel, Agameya, Adelia, Adele, Azarel, Aziza, Azimbara, Watercolor, Aqueline;|
|B||Bassi, Buffy, Beatrice, Squirrel, Blanca, Boneria, Bonita, Brianna, Brig, Burka, Bella, Bianca;|
|AT||Waiga, Valencia, Valentina, Valida, Vendée, Vanessa, Vasara, Venus, Vendetta, Veronia, Wendy;|
|G||Gabriella, Gagra, Gaiva, Gaitana, Garmola, Carnation, Geisha, Hecate, Gemetra, Dahlia, Gerda;|
|D||Diana, Daira, Dana, Daniela, Darina, Daringa, Darla, Darcia, Dauria, Desa, Dominica;|
|E||Evpatoria, Evredika, Euva, Yaiza, Yela, Elagia, Elixa, Elinira, Enata, Enixa, Heroy, Yesenia;|
|F||Jacqueline, Jeanette, Justine, Zhelikoy, Geneva, Jeroy, Pole, Germione, Giselle, Juliet;|
|3||Zayda, Zarina, Zaryana, Zatoka, Zegnaya, Zeda, Zelda, Zemfira, Xena, Zenaty, Zirana, Zia, Zoria;|
|AND||Igogosh, Isolde, Isabelle, Isis, Izora, Emerald, Elijah, Iliad, Illag;|
|TO||Goose, Calist, Kalita, Cantana, Karana, Carleona, Carmella;|
|L||Lava, Lagoon, Luxury, Laconic, Licorice, Laorina, Latika, Laura, Legend, Leila, Lexa, Leora, Lepisina, Leska, Lolita, Lucy;|
|M||Magic, Magnolia, Madeleine, Madina, Mayga, Malika, Malta, Marie, Marquise, Mafia, Dream, Molly, Monica;|
|N||Naina, Nayda, Nakima, Naolina, Nara, Naribel, Narita, Natty, Forget-me-not, Tenderness;|
|ABOUT||Ovation, Oyra, Olivia, Olima, Olismiana, Olonia, Olta, Mistletoe, Onara, Onega, Orlita, Orneta, Orchid, Ophea;|
|P||Peacock, Pallet, Pamella, Pandora, Perseus, Peach, Song, Platinum, Prima, Puma;|
|R||Rada, Rachel, Ramina, Rafaela, Rachel, Rachelle, Rebecca, Regina, Rexona, Remira, Riona, Rosemary, Rosette, Chamomile, Roel;|
|WITH||Samara, Sugar, Freedom, Second, Symphony, Snow, Soloist, Sonali, Sonata, Element, Strategy, Arrow, Shrew, Susanna, Sumina, Suzy;|
|T||Tamika, Tavrida, Tasey, Taura, Temida, Tequila, Theodora, Tiberius, Tyra, Tyrande, Titan, Silence, Tonic;|
|At||Success, Threat, Luck, Ulma, Ulma, Ultra, Uma, Clever, Untara, Untina, Urania, Urganka, Ursa, Ursula, Delight, Utopia;|
|F||Favorite, Faina, Fauna, Fergana, Ferrari, Fiona, Florena, Florencia, Florida, Francesca, Freya, Frida, Felina;|
|X||Helga, Hydelia, Hitana, Clapperboard, Chloe, Hola, Honda, Christina, Juanita, Heida, Helia;|
|Ts||Tsvetana, Celesta, Tseroy, Tsesta, Tsimoy, Tsimona, Zinia, Circe, Tsitsiliya, Tsukata, Tsukeriya, Tsunami, Gypsy;|
|H||Chaloy, Chandra, Chereda, Blueberry, Honest, Chiclana, Chilla, Chilli, Miracle;|
|W||Shakira, Shambhala, Shamsi, Shangria, Chanel, Chantal, Charlene, Charlotte, Charmel, Scheherazade, Goldfinch, Generous, Chocolate;|
|E||Evelina, Aegis, Edgie, Ayla, Ecwid, Elsa, Enabela, Enigma, Epilona, Epoch, Erga, Erica, Esmeralda, Estella, Etara, Etina, Ethelga, Etuala, Efana;|
|YU||Yugoslavia, Julianna, Julia, Julima, Yulina, Julia, Yumma, Yumfira, Yuna, Junior, Juno, Yusita, Justina, Yutana;|
|I AM||Berry, Yadviga, Yalta, Jamaica, Yamelia, Yameya, Yana, Yanda, Yani, Yanora, Amber, Yapela, Yara, Yarina, Bright, Brightness, Fair, Yarona, Rage.|
For them, names are recommended in the form:
|AND||Avalon, August, Aveyron, Adolf, Adon, Adonis, Aklil, Aklon, Chord, Aladdin, Almira, Alym, Angel, Antey, Apollo, Aston;|
|B||Basilica, Ben, Benefis, Bering, Berkut, Berkshire, Bernard, Bismarck, Blaster, Black, Bonaparte, Bond, Bruce, Buran, Buyan;|
|AT||Vakhtar, Webster, Vizorg, Vilsaura, William, Voronoi, Voyager, Volcano;|
|G||Gallop, Hamlet, Ganibal, Garth, Gastrolyor, Gvidon, Gvideval, Gediza, Hector, Gelar, Gelimer, Henry, Geopard, Grenade, Granite;|
|D||Dakar, Dameon, Danai, Danat, Daniel, Dantes, Darko, Daedalus, Dederon, Damon, Dingo, Dombay, Dublon, Dali, Durango;|
|E||Euphrates, Huntsman, Ekim, Elistratus, Elman, Emar, Endai, Erger, Ermak, Eros, Eteris;|
|F||Jaden, Jacques, Jasmine, Jaffrey, Wand, Pearls, Gerard, Zherd, Zheri, Germann, Germes, Geron, Priest, Jephaestus, Zhibek, Gilbert, Reaper, Joker;|
|3||Bunny, Sunset, Zambo, Zerab, Siegburg, Singer, Zorik, Zulan, Zurad, Zurbagan, Zufar;|
|AND||Ideal, Emerald, Icarus, Illan, Indigo, Infanta, Irbis, Irbit, Irhat, Ishtar, July;|
|TO||Cadet, Cairo, Cameron, Caprice, Carat, Cascade, Quint, King, Columbus, Concord, Coral, Cortez, Chris, Crystal, Cooper;|
|L||Lavrion, Lagoon, Lamansha, Lambira, Lambord, Lancelot, Leon, Lemon, Loyd, Lorayd, Lotus, Lucas, Lucifer;|
|M||Master, Mazay, Mike, Macedon, Maclay, Macmillian, Max, Maximal, Mansour, Marathon, Martin, Mowgli, Milan, Michigan;|
|N||Nazar, Nazir, Narat, Nardon, Narcissus, Nautilus, Nayan, Neuron, Nels, Nelson, Invincible, Nord;|
|ABOUT||Oasis, Ozar, Oliver, Olkan, Olpidon, Olsan, Olberg, Ulster, Olkhard, Omen, Optimus, Orion;|
|R||Robber, Ralph, Ramses, Russell, Raphael, Remburg, Remedios, Ranger, Riley, Ringo, Reef, Romance, Red;|
|WITH||Salute, Sandor, Seydon, Sensei, Sinbad, Tornado, Solomon, Stuart;|
|T||Typhoon, Talina, Tamir, Tarzan, Tarkan, Tatian, Teran, Titan, Tornado, Tulip;|
|At||Coal, Ulkus, Ulsan, Uncas;|
|F||The feudal lord, Philip, Flamingo, Flipper, Weathervane;|
|X||Hacker, Hammer, Hunter, Harat, Harley, Harrison, Hathul, House, Hilton, Predator, Hugo;|
|Ts||Tsargun, Tsent, Zepter, Tsigun, Zirkoriya, Tsimbala, Tsiran, Tsistan, Zoster;|
|H||Chase, Cheldon, Challenger, Chernomor, Chernysh, Churchill, Black, Chicago, Chips, Wonderful;|
|W||Sage, Shaman, Shanghai, Shakespeare, Sherbet, Sherl, Sherkhan, Schegol, Sean, Stirlitz, Schumacher;|
|E||Evan, Egoist, Eclipse, Extreme, Alvin, Eliot, Eragon;|
|YU||Juvent, Eugene, Yukar, Yukas, Julius, Yulis, Yunis, Ural, Juran, Eustace, Yuton;|
|I AM||Yakov, Yaktash, Yakyr, Yangol, Yandex, Yanis, Yarmak.|
Nicknames of famous horses
Many horse names are fixed in history as firmly as the names of the owners of these horses. And some figures are still remembered only because of their horses, such as, for example, the emperor of Ancient Rome Caligula, who gained stupid fame due to the fact that he introduced his horse Incitat to the then Senate.
The name of Alexander the Great is inextricably linked with his horse Bucephalus, the literary knight of the sad image of Don Quixote - with Rocinante. Favorite stallion of Napoleon King George, whom the emperor himself for some reason renamed Sheikh, remained in history due to the fact that he carried Bonaparte to his last earthly journey.
The light gray stallion Idol will forever remain in the memory of people, since it was on him that Marshal Georgy Zhukov hosted the Victory Parade in 1945.Horse G.K. Zhukova Remained in the memory of a horse that became famous not thanks to its famous owners, but exclusively for its outstanding qualities. As, for example, Hyperion, who won in many races and became no less successful producer of many other champions. Or Vayegold's mare, multiple champion of various international competitions.
And the black horse Absinthe, who helped Sergei Filatov to win a gold medal at the Olympic Games in Rome, was recognized as the best sports horse on the planet. He was even awarded the monument, which still stands in Kazakhstan.
Important! The undesirability of the presence of a negative in a horse's nickname is explained by the fact that a person involuntarily pronounces such a word with hostility.The horse feels this and begins to think that it was he who was guilty of something.
It would seem a simple matter - to give the name of the horse - in reality, depending on the pedigree of the animal, it either acquires the necessary formalities or the pangs of choice, when the owner is free to act according to his own understanding, but he cannot decide on anything. However, if you strictly follow the established rules or the inspiration mixed with traditions, this process will significantly accelerate.