How to make a blanket for a horse with your own hands?
A good owner has not only a well-fed, beautiful horse, but also a separate wardrobe for the needs of his pet. A blanket is not a whim, but a necessary thing in caring for horses, which you can sew on your own, spending a minimum of time and a little money.
What is horse blanket?
Blankets are easy-to-sew but multi-functional outerwear that all horses need, regardless of breed. This is not a trend of modern trends, but an important ammunition, which was used in the Middle Ages for a knight's horse. But, if earlier it was a kind of passport of a warrior, with a coat of arms embroidered on it, now it serves only an animal.By its principle, it is a cloak for the entire length of the back of the animal, which may have a collar and cover the stomach, if necessary.
Such clothing serves as protection against:
- cold in winter;
- draft, wind;
- rapid cooling of the body.
Important! In a warm walking cape, a neckline for stirrups and a saddle is sure to be made. For stall and light thin it is not necessary.
Varieties of blankets vary in purpose and functionality:
- winter - protects from frost and chilly weather, it can be woolen, sinteponovaya, fleece;
- sweatshirt or cooling cape - sewing from textiles, which perfectly absorbs moisture and prevents the rapid cooling of the animal’s body after intense physical activity;
- raincoat or walking - standard summer and demi-season clothing, sewn from tarpaulin or any water-repellent fabric, protects not only from moisture, but also from the wind;
- mosquito net - protects the pet from insects, from flies, is made of fine mesh and can be treated with repellents;
- with a hood - protects both croup and neck, it can be rain, warmed, mosquito;
- front weekend - most often closes only the back, on such a cape may be a heraldic figure;
- reflective - for night walks, so that the horse and rider can be seen in the light of headlights, lamps;
- training - made of fine wool, can be used as a lining between the saddle;
- drying - from textile or waffle, accelerates the drying process after a full bath;
- hot - It is used for sick horses and has a single, warming function, it is often made of natural wool and worn after rubbing ointments.
Basic selection rules
When choosing which blanket to sew with your own hands, order from a master or buy, determine which function it should perform. The choice of material depends on the answer, for example, for winter clothes, wool, fleece and synthetic winterizer, for summer - mesh, cotton and other thin fabrics that will easily fit under the saddle.
When sewing, pay attention to the following:
- chest fasteners - Choose flat belts and flat accessories so that the animal is comfortable, nothing pulls him together and does not rub his shoulders, skin;
- if the blanket will not be fixed on the chest, but on the body, the principle of choosing belts and accessories is the same;
- shoulder recesses - important for walking capes, so that the horse can move freely even at a gallop, the inserts should be wide, the material is durable;
- faux fur inserts in the area of the withers - they reduce pressure on the body, the blanket should sit tightly on the pet, which means there is a certain pressure on the withers if the clothes are winter, heavy;
- foot straps - must be elastic with snap hooks, fastened crosswise, have a locking function for clothing;
- tail cord - it is necessary so that the clothes do not bulge from the wind, it is desirable that it can be easily removed if the horse is uncomfortable;
- tail valve - prevents the penetration of water and wind under the cloak.
Did you know? In 22 nations in the world, horses are sacred. The Maasai tribes in Tanzania still believe that a horse killed goes straight to paradise.
How to make a blanket for a horse with your own hands
It is advisable for each horse to have several types of wraps at once. Which ones - depends on the breed, the characteristics of the animal and the climatic conditions of the region where it is located. Sewing blankets is a simple job, even if you don’t have any experience with such. The whole process takes no more than 3 hours.
Sizes and pattern
To draw a pattern from a horse, take measurements. There are only three measurements:
- From the withers to the tail.
- From sternum to tail.
- The length of the blankets in front (at your own discretion, can be made adjacent, then the volume of the chest, the girth of the neck is measured).
Necessary materials and tools for work
For sewing you need:
- sewing machine;
- fabric for sewing;
- threads matching the color of the future cape;
- braid for beauty (2-4 cm wide);
- wide ribbon for edging (3-5 cm);
- any fabric stickers for decoration, if necessary;
- flat belts for fastening blankets;
- 3 carbines, 3 rings;
- a cord for fixing at the tail and 3 elastic bands 45 cm long, if implied.
Did you know? Horses have excellent sense of smell, hearing, and vision. There have been recorded cases when these animals independently found their way home even from the battlefield.
The process consists of several simple but consistent steps. You can make a pattern yourself or choose any one you like.
Transfer patterns to material
Fold the fabric, the synthetic winterizer in half and apply a colored chalk pattern on the contour. Do not forget to add a 2 cm allowance for the hem from the bottom and wherever the notch is meant (neck, saddle, near the tail). It’s faster and easier to cut identical parts out of a double-folded fabric. Scissors cut out the details by rounding the corners.
If you are using a synthetic winterizer, sew it with fabric on both sides with a tie stitch. The fabric is processed along the perimeter and cuts with braid, so it will be more intact and stronger. The synthetic winterizer, like any other stuffing, the lining, if any, is flashed on the machine with any pattern (standard in the box). For convenience and a straight line, the pattern is first best applied with a pencil, chalk.
Insert carabiners and rings for fastening on the chest
Carabiners are sewn for better fixation of blankets along the upper edge of the neck. You can use the elastic band 30 cm, folded in half for the convenience of the horse. There are two such details; they are mounted in the girth area. Rings are sewn strictly opposite to carbines.
The design of the neck
The back-sewn material connects to a 30 cm strip into which a 45 cm elastic band is pre-sewn and assembled into a ring. The cord is attached as desired.
Video: we sew a horse blanket
How to put a blanket on a horse?
For adult horses, the air temperature is comfortable within –1 ... + 24 ° С. When exactly to put on her a warm blanket depends on the characteristics of the breed, the fatness of the individual, the intensity of work, age, and individual sensitivity. Two horses in identical conditions may not respond equally to cold, chill.
It is advisable to train horses to wear a cape from childhood, but adults can also be trained to dress calmly.
Calm the animal, do everything so that the horse relaxes and does not feel the threat, tension. Putting blankets on a pet, at least for the first time, should be a person whom the horse knows, is not afraid, whom he trusts. Talk affectionately, you can play, pet, treat your favorite treat.
Pick up a blanket, but do not draw the attention of an animal to it. Continue to gently talk, scratch and stroke, treat. If the horse is calm, slowly unfold the cape, watching the reaction. Approach the horse with a blanket, but do not rush to throw at the pet. The dressing process should not be violent and intimidating, otherwise problems with this will be permanent.
If the individual is calm, perhaps wary, but not shy, throw a blanket over her back, but do not fasten. Distract with calm, friendly conversations and stroking. Iron where the fabric lies; associations should be pleasant. Let the horse walk with a blanket over his back if she wants to move.
Go to the horse or call her, while continuing to maintain contact, fasten the blanket. First, in front, then, having waited a pause and continuing to attract attention with other things, from below (if there are fasteners) and from behind. The main thing at all stages is to show the pet that nothing terrible is happening and nothing unusual. A horse in blanket can be let out for a walk.
Carbon blanket care
Caring for a horse’s cloak is no more difficult than caring for regular clothes. Periodically inspect the blanket for mechanical damage, if somewhere is torn - darn or sew the patch. After use, the item is washed, dried, ventilated.
Check the condition of the rings, carabiners, belts before and after each wear to repair immediately if necessary. Shake the cape after each wear, dry and weather.
Important! It is possible to erase only children's, with a neutral smell, powders. If you have a jute cape, you need to brush it with a rough brush, not only wash it.
Sew horse blankets on the strength of even a child. All that is needed for this: a little material, a sewing machine, care and patience. Having sewed such a thing with your own hands once, then you can experiment with anything and diversify your pet’s wardrobe according to its needs.